GI Bill® Benefit

All forms of GI Bill® must be requested by the student through

Chapter 30 - Montgomery GI Bill®

Individuals who entered military service on or after July 1, 1985 and who have their basic military pay reduced by $100 per month for the first 12 months and have an honorable discharge.

Chapter 31 - VRE

Training and rehabilitation for veterans with a service-connected disability rating of 10% with a serious employment handicap or 20% or more with an employment handicap. Eligibility is established through the VRE office.

  • Austin: (512) 206.0857
  • San Antonio: (210) 699.5022

Chapter 33 – Post 9/11 GI Bill®

Individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible.

Chapter 33 Benefits for Dependents of Veterans

Eligible service members may transfer the benefit while they are still on active duty. The dependent must still file a request for benefits through

Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship

For children and surviving spouses of Servicemembers who died in the line of duty after September 10, 2001. This is processed as a Chapter 33 benefit.

Chapter 35 - Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance (DEA)

DEA provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of veterans who are 100% disabled or died from a service-related injury or illness.

Chapter 1606 - Montgomery GI Bill® for Selected Reserves/National Guard

Persons who have enlisted, reenlisted, or extended an enlistment in the Selected Reserve on or after July 1, 1985 and serve for a period of not less than 6 years following the date of such action or for those who are active in the National Guard.

GI Bill® TypeVeteran UseDependent UsePays StudentPays for Tuition
Ch 30 (MGIB)YesNoYesNo
Ch 31 (VRE)YesNoYesYes
Ch 33 (Post 9/11)YesYesYesYes
Ch 35 (DEA)NoYesYesNo
Ch 1606 (MGIB-SR)YesNoYesNo

Hazlewood Benefit

Hours from Multiple Sources

There is a maximum benefit of 150 credit hours per individual, regardless of source, for all versions of the Hazlewood Exemption. For example, a student uses 75 hours of their mother's benefit and then uses 75 of their father's benefit. That student has reached their limit and cannot use any more of their mother's or father's benefit even if the parent has hours left.

Hazlewood Act

The Hazlewood Act provides qualified Veterans with up to 150 hours of tuition exemption, including most fee charges, at public institutions of higher education in Texas. This does not include living expenses, books, or supply fees.

Hazlewood Legacy Act

Eligible Veterans may assign or transfer unused hours of exemption eligibility to a child under certain conditions as drawn from the Hazlewood Act Statute and 40 Texas Administrative Code §461. Eligible Veterans may also assign or transfer unused hours of exemption eligibility to a non-spousal dependent under the age of 26. *If a child to whom hours have been delegated fails to use all of the assigned hours, a Veteran may re-assign the unused hours that are available to another child. Only one child will use Hazlewood Legacy benefits at a time.

Hazlewood Disability

Spouses and dependent children of eligible veterans, who died in the line of duty or as a result of injury or illness directly related to military service, are missing in action, or who became totally disabled for purposes of employability as a result of a service-related injury or illness, are entitled to each receive a 150 credit hours exemption.

Dual Use

Two students cannot use the same benefit in the same semester. If our report shows another student already using the benefit, we will reassign the full debt to the student.

Correspondence and Extension Study

Hazlewood Act benefits do not cover correspondence and extension study courses or programs.

Study Abroad

Hazlewood Act benefits do not cover study abroad courses or programs.

Teacher Certification

Hazlewood will not cover a teacher certification fee.


Verification of GI Bill® Exhaustion/Ineligibility

Dependents of veterans who separated on or after 11 September 2009 must provide proof that the student does not qualify for Chapter 33 (Post 9/11) benefits. An exhausted Certificate of Eligibility or Denial Letter are proof of this. The student will request this document through

Request GI Bill® and Hazlewood Benefits

After you have collected your required documents and registered for your classes, you are ready to submit an online Certification Request. You will be able to upload all required documentation at the end of your request. Ensure that your benefits are applied to your bill before payment is due by submitting your certification requests by the submission deadlines found on the homepage.