Skip to Content

Information for Students


Dropping and Withdrawing

You must contact our office if they change their schedule in any way during the semester. You should also contact our office before dropping or withdrawing. Failure to do so can result in large debts assigned to you.

GI Bill® 

A student who drops or withdraws from the university on or after the first day of class will have a portion of their GI benefits charged. Additionally, they will receive a notice of debt from the VBA. The student must bring this debt letter to our office so we can assist in resolving it. Mitigating circumstances must be provided prior to withdrawal.


A student who drops or withdraws from the university on or after the first day of class might have a portion of their Hazlewood benefits charged.


Processing Time

Please allow a minimum of 10 business days for standard verification and internal processing of benefits. Processing times will increase during periods of high volume. This time does not include the VBA’s own minimum time for processing. All benefits are processed in the order received.


What benefit are you using?

GI Bill®




Chapter 30 Montgomery GI Bill®

For veterans serving prior to 2001     

Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill®

For children and spouses of Servicemembers who transferred benefits after 11 Sep 2009

Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation

For disabled veterans  

Chapter 35 Dependents’ Educational Assistance

For children and spouses of Servicemembers who have a 100% disability rating from the VBA

Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill®

For veterans who served after September 2001  

Fry Scholarship

For children and spouses of Servicemembers who die in the line of duty after 10 Sep 2001

Chapter 1606 Selected Reserve GI Bill®

For Guard & Reserve veterans      





Legacy Child



A qualifying veteran gets their normal benefit to use at Texas public colleges and universities   A qualifying veteran may provide their Hazlewood hours to a legal dependent   Benefit due to a qualifying veteran who has 100% disability VA rating or has died due to service-connected reasons



Steps for incoming students

Get your transcripts

Get admitted and residency evaluated

Get your benefit letter

Additional Steps


Steps for current students


What documents are needed from the student and veteran?

See Required Documents


When should I submit documents?

Certificate of Eligibility (COE) - Once a year if you have more than 12 months remaining of benefits or every semester if you have 12 months or less remaining.

Hazlewood Application - Every semester.


Which institutional debts does my benefit cover?

GI Bill®

  • 33 (Post 9/11) – Tuition and standard fees*
  • 31 (VRE) – Tuition, standard fees*, books and some supplies
  • 30 (MGIB), 35 (DEA), 1606 (Guard/Reserve) – No debts covered


  • Tuition
  • Standard Fees* (except student service fee)


*includes authorized lab fees and online course fees


Which debts does my benefit not cover?

Student Service Fee (Hazlewood only) Health Center charges
Open Electives (GI only) Extension Program Fees
Repeating course already passed (GI only) Damage Fees
eTextbook fees Out of State tuition (without residency waiver)
Meal Plan Repeat Course and Excessive Hours Fee
Housing Fees Payment Plan Origination Fee
Books Emergency Loan Origination Fee
Late Fees Study Abroad Fees**
Late Registration Fees Correspondence Courses


**for more information, please visit our office


Request Statuses

Below is a list of each request status and an explanation of what they mean. If you have questions about your status, please refer to the chart before contacting us.


Standard processing track:

Pending Review

This has not yet been reviewed for the latest document uploads.

Request Approved

The documents and registration have been approved for processing. You do not need to contact us unless you make a schedule change.

Sent to Student Business Services

Tuition-based benefits are sent to apply to the bill at TXST.

Sent to VBA

GI Bill® benefits are reported to the Veterans Benefit Administration.

Reporting Finalized

GI and Hazlewood reports to outside agencies are complete.


Pending statuses mean we are waiting for something to happen:

Pending Semester Grades

Hazlewood students waiting for TXST GPA to post.

Pending Registration

Student has yet to register for the semester.

Pending Counselor Invoice

VRE students need their counselor to send documentation.


Other statuses that require reading the email sent:


Documents are missing. Read the email for specific information.


Updates are being made based on student changes to the semester.


The request has been canceled. This will specify why.


The request has been denied. This will specify why.


The student has withdrawn from the semester.


While it exists, the Training/Testing status is for internal training and system troubleshooting purposes. Your requests should not ever be in this status and if they are, contact us, please. Please remember that the status chart is not specific to your request. It is only a reference to explain what is happening based on the status of your request.



BAH/Living Stipend– All GI benefits provide a stipend to the student. This is not paid to the school.

Book payment– VRE will cover required books. You must get them at the bookstore on campus or through their website.

Book stipend– Chapter 33 provides a book stipend of $41.66 per credit hour to a maximum of $1000 per academic year (fall through summer). They do not pay the school for your books or ebooks.

Correspondence– A student may request reimbursement for correspondence studies after the course is complete and a grade has been received.

Fees– The portion of the bill that covers all other costs associated with registration.

Study Abroad– GI travel, food and lodging are costs the VBA will not cover.

Tuition– The portion of the bill that covers course costs.