Skip to Content

Tools for Parents


Do Not Send Any Documentation by Mail or Fax

It is the student’s responsibility to apply for their benefits. It is also the student’s responsibility to monitor their Texas State University email and follow all provided directions within any communication.


The Office of Veterans Affairs at Texas State University has developed this page to provide veterans and their parents with explanations and solutions for many commonly asked questions. If you still have additional questions, feel free to contact our office.


Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act

The Federal law, Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), protects the privacy of the student education records and guarantees students access to their own records. Texas State University and the Office of Veterans Affairs takes the confidentiality of the students’ educational and private records seriously. 

  • FERPA does not authorize anyone other than the student to log into the student’s accounts 
  • FERPA does not authorize anyone other than the student to make any changes to their request for benefits processing 
  • Transferring benefits does not authorize a veteran to violate FERPA regulations
  • More information about FERPA can be found on the Office of the University Registrar's website
  • Parents can request FERPA authorization through the Bobcat Family Portal


Transferred Benefits

The veteran, at their discretion, may revoke Hazlewood Legacy and Chapter 33 benefits. For Hazlewood Legacy the veteran must submit a notarized copy of the Hazlewood Legacy Revocation form to our office. For Chapter 33 the veteran must make the changes in eBenefits and then notify us directly through email. The veteran cannot transfer or revoke any other benefit.


Processing Time

Please allow a minimum of 10 business days for standard verification and internal processing of benefits. Processing times will increase during periods of high volume. This time does not include the VBA’s own minimum time for processing. All benefits are processed in the order received.


Request Statuses

Below is a list of each request status and an explanation of what they mean. If you have questions about your status, please refer to the chart before contacting us.


Standard processing track:

Pending Review

This has not yet been reviewed for the latest document uploads.

Request Approved

The documents and registration have been approved for processing. You do not need to contact us unless you make a schedule change.

Sent to Student Business Services

Tuition-based benefits are sent to apply to the bill at TXST.

Sent to VBA

GI Bill® benefits are reported to the Veterans Benefit Administration.

Reporting Finalized

GI and Hazlewood reports to outside agencies are complete.


Pending statuses mean we are waiting for something to happen:

Pending Semester Grades

Hazlewood students waiting for TXST GPA to post.

Pending Registration

Student has yet to register for the semester.

Pending Counselor Invoice

VRE students need their counselor to send documentation.


Other statuses that require reading the email sent:


Documents are missing. Read the email for specific information.


Updates are being made based on student changes to the semester.


The request has been canceled. This will specify why.


The request has been denied. This will specify why.


The student has withdrawn from the semester.


While it exists, the Training/Testing status is for internal training and system troubleshooting purposes. Your requests should not ever be in this status and if they are, contact us, please. Please remember that the status chart is not specific to your request. It is only a reference to explain what is happening based on the status of your request.


What does the benefit cover?

Benefit Coverage
Chapter 33 
Post 9/11 GI Bill®
Tuition & Standard Fees
Book Stipend
BAH Stipend
Chapter 35 
Dependents Educational Assistance (DEA)
Stipend paid to student while in class
Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship Tuition & Standard Fees
Book Stipend
BAH Stipend
Hazlewood (Legacy Child) 150 credit hours of tuition and most fees
One student per semester
Hazlewood (Spouse/Dependent) Each dependent receives their own 150 credit hours of tuition and most fees


Submission Deadlines

It is the student’s responsibility to have all required documentation and a certification request submitted on time, every semester.

GI Benefits   Hazlewood Benefit
The student is required to upload the most recent copy, or screenshot, of their Certificate of Eligibility (COE) at least once a year. If a student has 12 months or less remaining, the student will need to provide the most recent copy of their COE each semester until their benefits exhaust.   Students will be required to fill out a Hazlewood Exemption Application for the first semester they start their benefit. After the first semester, students will need to upload a Continued Enrollment form every semester the student intends to utilize the Hazlewood benefit.


Submissions made after our first deadline are not guaranteed to be processed before the bill is due. You must monitor your bill and make other payment arrangements if necessary. Any submissions made after our second deadline will not be processed before the bill is due. You must make other payment arrangements. Incomplete submissions will be cancelled after the census date and the student will be required to call or come into the office to resolve their request for that semester.



Certification Request Begins

Certification Deadline to Apply to BIll

No Submissions After this Date
Spring October 1st December 15th Last day of class before finals
Summer March 1st May 15th Last day of class before finals
Fall June 1st August 1st Last day of class before finals


Due to increased activity during the month prior to the start of each new semester (Jan, May, & Aug), hold times may exceed 30 minutes and emails may take a minimum of five working days to respond. Any submissions after the required deadline will be processed in the order the benefit was received. Our office will not expedite any benefits if the student failed to submit their request on time with the proper documentation.


Payment Questions

For any questions of whether or not the bill has been resolved, the student needs to check their bill first. In a situation for when the debt is paid prior to a benefit resolving, a reimbursement can take up to 30 days after the benefit is applied to the student’s bill from Student Business Services. The reimbursement will be made to the source of the initial payment.


Enrollment Status

Student Level Full TIme 3/4 Time 1/2 Time or Less
Undergraduate 12+ Hours 9-11 Hours 8 Hours or Less
Graduate 9+ Hours 7-8 Hours 6 Hours or Less


Chapter 33 (Post 9/11) benefits students must be at 51% rate of pursuit to receive any BAH.


Drops and Withdrawals

A student should contact our office before dropping or withdrawing. They must contact our office if they change their schedule in any way during the semester. Failure to contact our office can result in large debts assigned to the student.

GI Bill® 

A student who drops or withdraws from the university on or after the first day of class will have a portion of their GI benefits charged. Additionally, they will receive a notice of debt from the VBA. The student must bring this debt letter to our office so we can assist in resolving it.


A student who drops or withdraws from the university on or after the first day of class might have a portion of their Hazlewood benefits charged.


Student Business Services (SBS)

The Office of Veterans Affairs only assist veterans and dependents and answers questions regarding the processing of their VA benefits. All billing, refund, reimbursement, and payment plans will need to be addressed to Student Business Services.


Student Service Fee:

The Hazlewood exemption does not cover the Student Service Fee. The fee ranges from $30 to $90, depending on credit hours taken, and must be covered by the student.

Housing and Meal Plan Fees:

No benefit covers the debts for housing or meal plan fees directly. While you may receive a form of BAH/Stipend, it is up to the student to resolve these debts when they are due.


Financial Aid and Scholarships

The Office of Veterans Affairs only assist veterans and dependents and answers questions in regards to the processing of their VA benefits. All financial aid, scholarship, and loan questions will need to be addressed to Financial Aid and Scholarships.

Please be advised that GI benefits are non-taxable, non-reportable income and that Hazlewood benefits must be reported to Financial Aid.


Texas Veterans Commission (TVC)

The student will need to create their own account through the Texas Veterans Commission. After creating their account, the student will need to screenshot their account with the hours and upload their screenshot into their Certification Request.



Students utilizing GI benefits will need to request the benefit through the website. The VA will send documents in the mail addressed to the student regarding the benefits. This may take up to eight weeks.  

This Certificate of Eligibility (COE) is what we require to process the benefits. We will not accept a screenshot of the veteran’s assignment of benefits, as that is not a confirmation that the VA will authorize the benefit for the student.